At the 1949 London Motor Show the buzz was all about the radical Jaguar XK120 sports car. However, sharing the stand with that remarkable icon was Jaguar MK V. A delightful post-war offering with holdover pre-war styling plus some up dated mechanicals ,such as independent front suspension and hydraulic brakes.
It was promoted in this country as “the first British-made luxury car to offer conventional left hand drive”. Capable of over 90 miles per hour and delivering up to 18 miles per gallon, it was highly sought after especially the drop-head, or convertible model.
The Mark V drop head offered here carries with it records from it’s original purchase in Paris in 1949 by David Scott who was working on the Marshall Plan and arranged his acquisition with Sir Francis Lyons (the founder of Jaguar) himself.
After being donated and on display in a museum in this country for many years it was purchased for the third time. The third owner had the car fully restored and sorted. New Firestone whitewalls were added in April, 2013 for safe touring. A very rare, extremely well documented and desirable Jaguar. A true blue chip investment!